CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lessons Not Learned

I did my long run on Saturday and I was up and out of the house by 6:30am, which is huge for me! But lets just say I wasn't very well prepared for my run and there are a lot of things I need to get through my thick head to make these runs go better.

  • Planning for a long run involves more than just putting it on your calendar.
  • Drinking a few glasses of wine the night before is not the best way to hydrate for a long run.
  • Garmins need to be placed on a charger to actually have enough juice to make it through a long run - let alone even making it on your wrist.
  • If you feel like you are walking out of your house without something, you probably forgot your ipod and you will be doomed to hours of running with nothing to distract you from dwelling on all the thoughts that pass through your stressed out head.
  • Maybe if I actually stretched before running I would be less likely to get the foot and knee pain I've been having.
  • The cute little water bottles that go in your fuel belt get moldy if you sit them on your dresser half full and forget to wash them...and don't notice until 10 minutes before your run...so you have to carry a big bulky bottle.

I think I need to spend a half hour each night preparing for the next day...whether it be work, home with my girls, or running...things would run so much smoother. I have my doubts I'll actually make this happen, but it sure would be a good habit to get into.

10 Talk to me people!:

Lesley said...

Sorry to hear that you've been down in the dumps recently. I have to say, I've been feeling similar myself....I really must get this eating business sorted, it affects one's life so much!

Anyway, just wanted to say, well done for getting out there and running, however poorly planned it was! Keep it up and it will be back being a good habit again before you know it......well, that's the theory anyhow!

Chin up chuck,

Lesley xx

Kristina said...

take heart knowing you are not the only one to develop moldy fuel belt bottles. I know I did when I read your post. Mine tend to sit around the whole week and then I frantically scrub them late Friday night. I've also endured the same uncharged Garmin frustration. And the thing with the alcohol. And the stretching. Oy.

Nikemom said...

Sounds normal to me! :)

Carolyn said...

Well at least you still go tout there and ran! That's an accomplishment on it's own after all the setbacks and frustrations you went through!

Marcy said...

LMAO! I know this is not funny but I've SOOOO been there! Not to fear though chica, the next one will be better!! ;-)

SeaBreeze said...

The fact that you went for a run without your IPod or Garmin is no small feat. If I forget to prep those things, my whole running plan goes in the rubbish container.

Anonymous said...

I have heard so many negative things about Garmins and it dying from batteries and/or sweat. Nike+ may not be as accurate, but mine has only broken twice in a year and a half and the apple people are so nice I never pay to fix it!

P.O.M. said...

Oh yeah. Been there too. I forgot to plan my running outfit. At 6am I was diggin' in the hamper doing the sniff test. I put on a pair of shorts but after eating a quick brekkie, realized that smelled WAY to bad to run in again. SO GROSS.

Heather said...

Awesome tips!!!

Michelle said...

Hi fellow runner! Nice to meet you! I agree with all of your to do list before a run and i don't even run long runs!!

I do plan what i will wear usually the night before and then i just grab my ipod and go! Not so easy when its a long run though!!!

M