CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Taking the Good With the Bad

The good news: I am officially down a pant size. My old pants actually slip down over my hips without even unbuttoning them.

The bad news: I have done everything in my power to sabotage this accomplishment over the past week.

More good news: My sabotaging ways failed...the old pants are still too big.

Okay...so I am back. Moving on from the parties and PMS from last week, and ready to go down another pant size.

I just freaking realized after reading POM's marathon training schedule and Marcy's maybe I better get on plan too....it is only 17 weeks until the Cowtown Marathon. I've been living in denial that it is as close as it is, thanks for the reality check ladies. Crap, 17 weeks! I'm actually a little scared since this will be my first full marathon....aahhh! Thankfully, I have a pretty good base right now.

So I have been debating in my mind whether to join a gym or not. I'm pretty anti-social so I really like running solo or just working out at my house - we have an okay setup - treadmill, elliptical, some weights.

I have three reasons for wanting to join the gym: 1) I think my husband will exercise more if we have a gym membership, 2) My babysitter is joining, and I actually like her so she would be fun to workout with, 3) air conditioning...all my home equipment is in the garage sans air conditioning...and it gets freakin' hot where I live. We're talking triple digits a good portion of the summer.

We have an Anytime Fitness going in about 5 minutes from my house. They are offering some pretty good start-up incentives right now...plus we can go month to month so I can quit if I don't like it or if I don't use it enough. It is a small gym, just cardio machines and weights...no classes, although they might expand if room opens up in the building. Their cardio machines are really cool though with video screens and bikes that actually steer...almost like playing Wii Fit, only you actually get your heart rate up for more than Wii Fit's intense 3 minute workouts.

I don't know, I just can't totally convince myself that it is worth it...but the air conditioning....

Last but not least, I found this little gem in a Women's Health magazine.

Fit-Speak
Exercise has a language all its own. Study up, then add these gems to your vocab--and your workout.

Chub rub (n) Red, angry chafing produced when your thighs rub together during a run.

Hard•ware (n) A finisher's medal--not the coveted gold, silver, or bronze but the one every participant gets for completing an event or race.

LSD (abbr)Long, slow distance--an hour-plus exercise session held at a conversational pace that builds cardiovascular endurance. Any high you get from this LSD is purely endorphin-generated.

Pew•ni•form (n) Stanky gym clothes that have been festering in your gym bag for a week. (Oh Yeah, I have a pile of these in my closet!)

Show shape (v) To shine your high beams at the gym. (A la Farrah Fawcet, Jen Aniston)

Vart (n) Embarrassing noise emitted from down there. Usually occurs when you come down from an inversion posture in yoga or do situps. As for the word's origin, well, think about it. (How embarrassing! I guess I'm not the only person who does this if there is an actual word for it).

6 Talk to me people!:

Marcy said...

Oh my gawd!! HAHAHAHAAA I totally DID NOT know the words for some of those definitions HAHAHAAAA. That's too funny!

Don't worry chica, you totally have a week to figure a plan :-) (I believe most plans are 16 weekers)

Heather said...

Those definitions kill me!

Nikemom said...

I coulda swore the chub rub was when I rubbed my "chubby hubby's" sore back. hmmmm :)

Carly said...

LMAO!!!! Those definitions were hysterical. Good luck with finding a marthon training program.

Unknown said...

Haha, I saw those too. I have several Pewniforms!

P.O.M. said...

Oh my gosh. I took my laundry to my best friend's house *(she has a house, I have stupid apartment) to do laundry. She was seriously offended my the odor of my laundry. Right when I walked in with my stack she said "oh God, throw those in the laundry right away."