CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Speaking of Nuts....

I'm a big fan of the BBC America show "You Are What You Eat." Nutritionist Gillian McKeith holds and intervention with a family or person who eats horrible and puts them on an 8 week nutritional plan that she develops (mostly vegetarian). I just love how the British lay it on the line - "You're fat and disgusting, now what are you going to do about it!" Plus, she talks about poop and farting a lot - and that is just funny...and she get results. People lose 25 -40 pounds or more in 8 weeks.

On one of the episodes Gillian explained how nuts and seeds are such a healthy snack because they are full of vitamins and essential fats. Evidently, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and other seeds are a great source of zinc which is suppose to increase your sex drive. My husband ran straight to the store after he heard that and now I have bins full of seeds on my pantry shelf.

The fats in nuts are good for your heart, but they have added benefits for runners though...today I came across this article. Anti-inflammatory folks - lord knows I need that, and they are suppose to help repair small muscle-tear injuries. They article recommends incorporation about 1 1/2 ounces of nuts into your diet. But they do want you to stay away from the pre-packaged and heavily salted ones. I think if they are covered in chocolate they are good though (hee, hee). Do you think those little M&M guys can get me to strap on my kicks and go running?

8 Talk to me people!:

Marcy said...

OMG I soooo have to watch that show now, just for the entertainment value!

I also LMAO at your comment! OMG I DID NOT even think of the that! OUCH! I'm sure he probably just dips them in $100 lotion or something afterwards. I would not even be surprised if he paid someone to apply it for him :-X :-X :-X

P.O.M. said...

I love that show too. I wish she would go to my mom's house and straighten her out.

Carolyn said...

I just started adding nuts to my diet every other day. I usually eat about an oz and lately I have been craving walnuts. Soooo good!

Lesley said...

My personal trainer is always banging on about nuts too so there must be something in it. I'll give it a go.

PS. Who is that Mario bloke?? He has a serious ego problem....what a narcissist!

Lesley x

Heather said...

"straight to the store to buy seeds" Pretty hilarious!

Good points though. I have trouble restraining myself from eating too many nuts if I have them around. Those suckers are healthy but addictive.

eurydice said...

i used to watch that show all the time... it's funny how she acts like each poo is stinkier than the next one hahaha.

Carly said...

I need a visit from that show! I must start watching it. Interesting about nuts, I will have to start adding them to my diet.

Danielle said...

Too funny! I've never seen that show. I'll have to investigate. I DO love nuts though!! :)